Author's Experiences



I organized a Christmas filled-stocking drive for the children that live in the community of Thomasville. The donation drive was conducted over a two month period. Advertised via social media, the drive sparked interest from many different areas and people. With the help of everyone, we were able to come together and raise 110 joy-filled stocking to the children. The stockings were filled with toys, personal hygiene products, and candy. It filled my heart with joy that I could help these children, who for some the stocking would be the only thing they received for the holiday.



Around the time of Halloween, I was discussing with the kids what they wanted to be for Halloween. I discovered the majority of them did not know because many of their parents were not able to purchase them one. I decided to do a last minute costume drive. The site I was visiting at the time, Forest Cove, was a smaller community. This helped in the fact that I only had three weeks to gather enough costumes. I spread the news of the call for donations via social media and word of mouth. I was worried I had not gathered enough costumes. When the day came, I ended up having just the right amount down to the number. Somehow every child found a costumes they liked and that fit them. It was almost as if it was a miracle/crazy coincidence.




Going into this experience, my goal was to help the communities of the different sites I visited. I planned on doing so by giving back, showing them love, and providing spiritual guidance. Not only did I get to do all of those wonderful things, but I also learned a lot about myself. I embraced self-discovery, challenges, and compassion on a deeper level. In the end, the people I set out to help helped me more.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aidan

Mark